The majority of Award categories are assessed with consideration given to two elements:
1. 30 page written submission
2. Judges site visit (not all categories are included in the site visit judging process)
The weighting is as follows for each category:
Categories 1–2, 5–7, 9-13, 15–23, 25, 27-29:
1. Submission (80 per cent)
2. Judges site visit (20 per cent)
Categories 3–4, 8, 14, 24, 26, 30, 31, 32;
1. Submission (100 per cent)
1. outrate.com.au visitor survey results (100 per cent)
The Chair of Judges
The role of Chairperson is one of moderator to facilitate the judging process.
They are not directly involved in reading submissions but serve to provide guidance to judging teams and resolve problems should they arise e.g. a tie or a huge discrepancy in scores, by brokering a final decision.
As a guide the chairperson should be someone who is well known, has strong leadership skills and preferably has awards experience as either a judge or entrant. For example someone who has previously won an Outstanding Contribution by an Individual or someone involved with the preparation of a submission that has gone on to achieve a national Hall of Fame.
The Judges Panel
The appointment of judges and chairpersons remains at the discretion of state/territory tourism award coordinator and organising committees.
The Canberra Region Tourism Awards judging panel is selected on the following criteria
- Strong knowledge of the operations of the tourism industry;
- Understand the need for and benefits that derive from a business plan;
- Has been responsible for the development and implementation of a business plan;
- Has developed and implemented strategic and tactical marketing plans both domestically and internationally;
- Has some knowledge of financial management and the ability to identify potential commercial success;
- Is aware of OH&S and other legislative requirements and how they impact in a business;
- Is prepared to commit time to the judging and inspection process.
The 2017 Canberra Region Tourism Awards judges panel is being finalised.
If you meet the above selection criteria and are interested in being considered as a judge for the Tourism Awards program please contact the Tourism Awards Coordinator on the below contacts with an overview of your credentials –
Canberra Region Tourism Awards Coordinator
Phone: 02 6162 4460